Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bye South and Hello North!

Hi Sea Fans!

Unfortunately, I have to love you and leave you South Africans once again, but it's not a sad goodbye really....I get to continue my world travels!

After a fun-filled time, I had to say bye to Ed as he had to go and visit another friend here in SA.  Just before he left for Robben Island, he gave me a present - a pebble.  It's really odd because it has a hole in it so I asked Ed why this was and you know what he told me?  It's a flint pebble from his local beach.  The pebble is what is left of a fossil sponge that was covered in flint.  These fossil flint sponges erode (wear away) from the chalk cliffs and then get broken up by wave action which then leaves pebbles with holes in them - how cool is that!  Now I can wear it as a necklace.

Luckily, I already had a prezzie for him too because I'd hate for him to forget his time here in South Africa!  I got him a keyring at SANCCOB and a piece of abalone shell that I'd picked up during our first outing to the rock pools...you can see our gifts in this photo:

The flint pebble is around my neck and the curved white thing between us is the piece of abalone shell. 
The Two Oceans Aquarium also wanted to help Ed teach everyone back home more about marine pollution and what it's doing to marine life so they're sending him a band that they took off one of the seals in the harbour (who knows, it may even be one they took off while we were there watching!!).

Check out the aquarium's website for a video on how they help the seals: http://www.aquarium.co.za/blog/entry/sappi_seal_platform_on_youtube/

All in all, I think it was a great visit and I can't wait to visit Ed in the UK later in the year.

I hope you all had a relaxing weekend and are having a great week Sea Fans.
Chat soon.

Cheers
Abby
}( *)8

No comments:

Post a Comment